Wednesday, April 9, 2008

How Do I Promote Myself? Let Me Count the Ways.

Your publisher will always do certain things to promote your book, but there are things that you can do yourself.

Your publisher will probably create a press release. It is usually pretty short and includes the title, author, type of book, and a brief sketch of what the book is about.

Usually, local newspapers are interested in spotlighting an author. Try to think of local publications that would want to add something about you. My local paper has a section called "Community News". They like to include local things, of course. Maybe a local business publishes a newsletter. They will often include a note about local people.

To be honest, if you are not a famous author or illustrator, your publisher will not be spending a lot of money on you. They can't really. They have to go with the "big name" until you become a "big name".

Side note: I am not a "big name," nor do I claim to be a big name. I wish I were an important author/illustrator. As you know,from my blogs, I am just a guy. I do not believe that I am more than anyone else. I just hope that I am the unique person that I should be to my family and those who know me. I am unique. There is no one else like me. Now, you are relived, huh? There is only one "me."

Back to what I was going to say. You might not go on a BIG author tour, but you can make a difference locally. Visit the local book stores and talk to the manager. Show them your book and ask if they will consider a "book signing." Some book stores and toy stores love to do that. It does not mean mega bucks for you, but it does get you noticed a little more.

If possible, send a copy of your children's book to your local school librarian. Include a press kit. Let the librarian know that you would be willing to make a school visit. (TRUTH: If you are a first time author, they might not be able to pay you for the visit. Big name authors can get a nice check for a school visit. In fact, a lot of authors do not get rich off of book sales, but they get a nice monetary gift through speaking at schools and other places.)

Let's face it, no one will pay attention to you unless you are famous, and you will not be famous until people pay attention to you!

The truth hurts a little. Ouch!

Create a list of book stores local and in towns that surround you. Drop by and ask about book signings. Ask if you can get in on special promotion days. They might already have something special planned and you just might become that extra item on the list. Always let the book store know how you plan on promoting the event. They will appreciate everything that you do to help bring more people into the store. Offer to sign copies of the book. Sometimes, people will purchase the book with the signature just because it has been signed by the author or illustrator.

Please! Please! Please! If you are going to do something locally, let your publisher know about it. They will appreciate it and sometimes they will do something to help promote the event.

Visit your local library and give them a copy of your book. The children's librarian will appreciate it so very much. Also, volunteer to be there for story-time and read your children's book to children.

If you have friends all over the country. Ask them to go to their local book store and order the book. Make sure they actually pay for it and take it home.

Another great idea, take your book to the local children's doctor and leave one in the waiting room. Have a note attached to the cover of the book telling parents where they may purchase a book.

If you have not thought about it, teachers love to have teacher-tips to go along with books. They also love coloring pages for the students. Anything and everything is welcome to a teacher. If you check on your counties web site, you will find a list of things that each grade needs to cover for the state requirement.

Use this as a guide for creating teaching ideas for the teacher. In most elementary classes, anything that you can do to promote hands-on study is wonderful.

One last comment: It is not professional looking for you to stand on the street corner, selling books.

Encourage people to visit the local book store.

The most important thing you can do is write! If you are a writer, write. If you are an illustrator, illustrate. Just get going with it.

Hey, drop me a message, for crying out loud. I feel like I am talking to the wall. I would love to hear from you.

No comments: