Friday, April 18, 2008

What makes for a Great Read

I was sitting here thinking about the kinds of books that I like to read. What gets my attention and keeps me turning the pages.

I have always loved Vampire movies and stories. I guess I have been the only person in my family that likes that kind of subject. Some would think it weird, but it has nothing to do with being weird.

Last year, I picked up the books Cirque de Freak. I actually did not pick up the books; I picked up book one and took it home to read. I loved it. It had me from the start. That one book led to me purchasing all twelve and injesting them at the speed of sound. Okay, I did not read them that fast, but I am sure that I read them at a speed where I missed something.

I liked the books, but they made me mad toward the end. A main character got killed. That made me wish that I had not read the book, but I turned the page and finished it. I also went out and purchased the next book. The last book, number twelve, made me wish that I had stopped a couple of books earlier. I wish there had been some really happy ending, but there was not one that I liked.

Did the author do that because he wanted to make readers mad?

I do not know. I do know that I have talked with several people that read the same series and that, like me, hated the last book.

I was hungry for Harry Potter books and saw the Charlie Bone books in the book store. I purchased book one and read it. I loved it. It was advertised as a book for those who like Harry Potter. It was true to the mark.

Charlie is a little boy who has a special power. He does not go around with a wand, like Potter. He can enter photographs and experience the scene and objects in the picture.

Charlie lives in a horrid situation and his father is missing. This made for a great story. I do not have them in front of me, but I think there are "six" books total. I am not sure. Do not quote me on that. At one time, Warner Brothers was planning on making a movie of the Charlie Bone books. They purchased the rights, but I am not sure they are going through with it.

Both series have that gift. They have characters that you connect with and want to see them succeed despite difficult odds. Harry has a horrid homelife, as does Charlie. Both have a special power that helps them accomplish their goal. They also have friends that make a difference in their lives.

Also, to me, the writing was smooth. It was easy to follow and it did not jump around too much. I always knew where I was in the story.

Try Charlie Bone, if you like. It is written for older children, but it is a great read.

Sorry, I am sitting here, in my backyard leaving this note on my blog. It is sunny. The wind is blowing a little. I just had a piece of toast with butter. Yum!

I wanted to say "morning" to you, and then I must stop for a while. I have something that I am working on and if I do not make myself stop, I will not get it written.

More to this post later.

No comments: