Monday, June 9, 2008

Frustration is spelled with a capital letter

I am just having one of those days. It happens to all of us at some time or another, I think.

It is nice to finally have my book in my hands, but there is a low at the same time. I feel frustrated because I want people to like it. I want them to buy it because they like it, not because they know me. I want them to like it.

I had someone say, "What a nice thing to do for Zander."

I did not do it for Zander, I did it for children.

It was inspired by Zander and something that happened in our lives that made me even come up with the idea of Sleepy Town.

I wrote it from the heart. It is a part of me. I worked and worked to get the words right. It might not be a huge, thick book of thousands of words, but it is a part of me.

I slaved over the illustrations. I spent hours making them what they are today. I wanted kids to like them. I kept them simple. I wanted children to see them and identify with them.

Am I just spazing over nothing. I want the book to mean something. I want it to have wings. I want it to fly. I want it to have a life beyond me. Is that too much to wish for? I do not know.

Okay, today, this is the ranting of an author/illustrator that wants to see his book make a difference and inspire.

DON'T WE ALL WANT THIS OF OUR WORK?

I do appreciate you reading my ranting and ideas.

Drop me a note. I would love to hear from you.

1 comment:

Mark said...

I found your book because as I was looking at the search terms used to find my blog, I saw that someone was searching for "sleepytown, Old Bedtime Story." It brought them to my blog post called "Headphones in Sleepytown." Some friends of ours who had children before we did told their son each night that it was time to go to Sleepytown. I picked up the term later when we had a child and I still use it sometimes.

Naturally, I was curious whether following this search term would get me to the story that inspired our friends' use of that word. It did not, but I found your book, and it sounds great. I plan to order one after telling my wife about it.

I hope you can keep your spirits up. I'm an aspiring writer (I once was a journalist), and I have published several stories online in serial form, so I know how it feels to want know your material has made some kind of difference.

Congratulations to you for publishing the book and getting an ISBN. I hope you can find a way to spread the word about it.