Tuesday, April 22, 2008

What others say about writing

The beautiful part of writing is that you don't have to get it right the first time, unlike, say, a brain surgeon. ~ Robert Cromier

I do not know all of these people, but I did find it interesting to read what they had to say about writing. I decided to leave some of them here for you to enjoy.

Read, read, read. Read everything - trash, classics, good and bad, and see how they do it. Just like a carpenter who works as an apprentice and studies the master. Read! You'll absorb it. Then write. If it's good, you'll find out. If it's not, throw it out of the window.~ William Faulkner

I did read that Stephen King was making a comment about writing and he said, "If it is bad, kill it."

You don't write because you want to say something' you write because you've got something to say.~ F. Scott Fitzgerald

What we want is a story that starts with an earthquake and builds to a climax.~ Samuel Goldwyn

One of the least impressive liberties is the liberty to starve. This particular liberty is freely accorded to authors.~ Lord Goodman

They're fancy talkers about themselves, writers. If I had to give young writers advice, I would say don't listen to writers talking about writing or themselves.~ Lillian Hellman

Manuscript: something submitted in haste and returned at leisure.~ Oliver Herford

Why do people always expect authors to answer questions? I am an author because I want to ASK questions. If I had answers I'd be a politician.~ Eugene Ionesco

If you steal from one author, it's plagiarism; if you steal from many, its research. ~ Wilson Mizner

I always do the first line well, but have trouble doing the others.~ MoliƩre

The dubious privilege of a freelance writer is he's given the freedom to starve anywhere.~ S.J. Perelman

Writing is the hardest way of earning a living with the possible exception of wrestling alligators.~ William Saroyan

The difference between the right word and the almost right word is the difference between lightening and the lightening bug.~ Mark Twain

No passion in the world is equal to the passion to alter someone else's draft.~ H.G. Wells

Have a great day! More later.

No comments: