Monday, April 28, 2008

Where Do I Go From Here?

Okay, I am going to ramble a little about me and my situation. If you have anything helpful to contribute, write to me. I would appreciate the comments.

My picture book SleepyTown will be out, soon.

I have seen a final pdf copy and I have seen the cover. There is a chance that I will have a copy in my hands this Friday. Then, it should be available in stores, online, and etc. soon.

What now? I have around "seven" other things in different stages of being finished. I have two finished stories that need illustrations. Then, I have a short story that I have written 2,200 words of a maximum goal of 8,000 words.

It would be wonderful to get rich doing what you love, but it seldom happens that way. I would love to become an instant success, but that seldom happens. I would love for someone to see something in me and hire me to make big bucks. Alas, fairy tales do not always happen in real life. So, what now?

I am going to keep writing. I love it. If a person loves what they are doing, isn't that enough some times? Imagine the thrill of being able to do something that you love. Too many people go through life miserable. They feel locked into a life that "stinks."

I do not claim to be an amazing writer, but I love writing. I have always loved writing. I was the drama person. I was the artist. I was the creative guy. (I was the male lead in my high school's senior play. I won the best actor award. It was a comedy titled "Time Out for Ginger." It was a blast.)

I guess the worst thing for me is that I grew up and live in a small town. It stinks some days. Everyone just about knows everyone. If they do not know you, they know someone that does know you. Growing up, all the police officers knew my dad. If I went 45 in a 35 zone, they told dad. They did not stop me, but they told him. That stunk!

Creative people do not get a lot of respect in a small town. There is not an Art Gallery within 50 miles of me at least. There was a guy that tried to have a small gallery downtown, it lasted a few months. People did not visit it and they did not purchase paintings. (The gallery closed and the guy still has around seven items of mine, that I am still trying to get returned. I am the nice guy, I know. I should have set loose a herd of elephants in his back yard, but I did not do that this time.)

I am trying to improve myself. As stated, I do not claim to be the best, but I love what I do. I must do it. I have to do it. I get frustrated because I want to do it. Are you like this? Do you feel it inside? ARRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG! Get the idea?

When I think about my picture book coming out, I have several feelings. I am excited, but I am scared, too.

I know that everyone that picks up the book and opens it becomes a critic. They will have an opinion.

Learning to accept criticism is not easy. That story is a part of me. It came from inside of me. If someone tears it apart, they tear a part of me. It is alive. Only the author understands the total picture. Am I right. Don't you alone see the entire picture? You know why you do what you do.

My publisher sent me a pdf of the cover and a pdf of the book on Friday of last week. It looks very good. Is it exactly as I would have done it? No. I would have done it differently, but I am not the publisher and I do not have the freedom of doing it totally my way.

My oldest daughter said, "It is the most beautiful book ever. It is just beautiful. It is better than a lot of books that I have seen."

Of course, I appreciate her feeling that way, but she is biased. I expect her to like it. If your family is not for you, hire someone to be family. Everyone needs their family behind them.

I have thought about seeking-out an online course that would challenge me to write. I found one, but I am doing some research to see if it is really what I want to do. The course gives assignments and you submit them. An instructor goes over the work and sends back comments. It does cost. (I do not have time to attend a college class. This might offer something that I would find beneficial.)

I have also researched writer retreats. There is one, not too far away, but it runs into Summer vacation. That stinks. There is a writer retreat, but you have to be an alumni or take the writer workshop to attend the retreat. The retreat is for writing and writing and writing. The workshop features instructors.

I found a guy that opens up his house to authors during the summer. He is on the beach. He accepts three people at the time. They write and share and enjoy being away from home. It would be nice, but I am not sure that it would be right for me.

I am just sharing the things that I am thinking about at this time. If I lived in a larger town, there might be a writer's group that I could join, but you already know that one. I told you about it earlier in this post.

There is a writers convention thing this fall. That offers classes in a lot of areas. I have asked for a brochure so that I can look at it and think about how I can attend it and benefit from it.

I would really love to start something online. I just do not know what to do or how to start. I would really like to have my own site and get people to share stuff that would help all of us.

What would you do? Give me some feedback. I need it and I would appreciate it.

If this rambling is too much, forgive. I just was a little out of it this morning. I am tired. I am trying to keep myself under control. I can be really "stupid," when I am tired.

More later.

No comments: