Friday, May 9, 2008

Sure-fire-ways to plan a Short Story

I sound like I know it all. I do not. I do not claim to know it all.

I am learning as I go along. Maybe one day, I will have enough info to put in a book and make millions off of it.

Alrighty, I am living in my own dream world.

1. Write the story straight out. Do not worry about grammar and spelling and mechanics. Get it down on paper. Actually, you can write a small story and then expand it later. Go for the bones and add meat later.

2. Start small. Make the beginning short and to the point. Since it is a short story, you do not have time to develope anything over chapters and chapters. The beginning is like an appitiser at dinner.

3. Make the middle part the meaty part. This is where you provide the main course. This is the Good Stuff of the story.

4. Your ending should come fast and be short. Do not draw the ending out for most of the story. When the end comes, end it. This is the dessert. After a good long meal, the dessert only takes a few bites.

Ask yourself the following questions:

1. What does the main character want? Why?What is the problem?

2. Does the story have a beginning, a middle, and an end?

3. Can you rewrite it or do you have an emotional attachment?

Some people find it helpful to write it and then shelve it for a few days. Then, get it out and read it. If it thrills you, after a rest, go for it.

No comments: