Thursday, May 15, 2008

The "write way to write"

Most of my life, I have wanted to write a novel.

Yes, I write children's stories and picture books. Yes, I write poetry. Yes, I illustrate my own children's books. But, deep down inside I have always wanted to write a novel.

Today, I make a promise to myself to begin the process.

I am going to write that novel. Everyone has to start somewhere, and I choose to start today. I am going to commit to writing "three pages" a day. That does not mean that I can not write more. It does mean that I commit to three pages. If I have a good day and I go beyond three pages, that is fine.

That does not give me an excuse to be a "slacker" the next day.

I commit to three pages a day.

Why am I starting my novel so late in my writing years? I kept putting it off until I felt right, or had some inspiration. It has not come.

If I keep waiting, it will never come.

How in "tarnation" could a person manage to write three pages a day? Sit down and write without stopping.

If you have read some of my earlier posts, you know that I have always suggested that you write without consulting the dictionary or any aide.

Just write and write. If you notice something that needs correcting, mark it in some way and go back later.

No comments: