Saturday, March 22, 2008

Big Brother and the little guys

What they do not tell you in writing school, and other stuff that stinks. The ins and outs of wanting to be an in. Or something weird like that.

I really wonder how many people there are who have searched and searched for years and years to find a publisher and keep running into a blank wall. After a while, the rejections can really wear on your nerves, if you have any left. If you are like most, you search and search on the net only to see those immortal words: "Like most large publishing companies, we do not accept unsolicited manuscripts."

You know what? If I were rich, I would do something about that. I would love to open a huge company and hire a team of incredible people to give others a chance. I might be "triping" on something that makes me sound weird as they come, but why can't there be a team large enough to actually accept more unpublished author stuff and review it.

I would want a team of people in each area and have them read stuff and then take the time to at least make some comments on the writing. It would even be fun to offer writing classes. It would be a blast to invite writers to see the publishing process. There are too many people needing a job, not to have some way of doing more.

I would have a team of kids to read children's book submissions and get their take on the "kid-friendly" aspect. They do it for toys, why not books. I would want to have some really sharp kids give some advice on what they would like to see in the books. Kids have a great view of a kid's world.

If I had millions, I would want to get a huge piece of land and build this huge people-enjoying-life friendly environment. I am not talking about another Disney World. I am talking about a world of learning, enjoyment, family fun, friendship, and everything. NO ROLLER COASTERS. I DO LOVE THEM.

It would be this incredible place where you have a street to walk down with shops on the left and right. Over there would be an ice cream place that sells the very best ice cream. Over here, there would be the most amazing toy store that really cares about being amazing. Then, maybe next door would be a cupcake shop, next to it a candy store, then a book store, a movie theater, unique places to eat, and all kinds of stuff that would make it the most incredible place in the world to visit.

It would be this unbelievable entertainment, family-fun, take your date, make friendships, create memories, and all-out-amazing place. It would have special themes for different areas. The lighting would be amazing. Just visiting would be an adventure.

Can you tell that I have thought this through? Alas, I am broke. If I could only win the lottery. I would make a lot of people happy, and myself.

I guess I am just a dreamer, but that is what writers do, right?

No comments: