Saturday, March 22, 2008

Speak to the senses

Did you know that children love to experience the story? Of course, you know this. I was dumb for asking. Children want to experience writing on their terms.The other day, when I was visiting a first grade class, I discovered something wonderful. I was sharing with the students my ideas for a few other things that I am working on. It was so much fun. I have a story about a little boy who is a super hero. In stead of saying that he had power, I told them that he had "super duper power." You should have seen them and heard their reaction. They knew exactly what I was talking about. If they had super powers, do you think they would want to be just a person with "super powers"? Of course not. Everyone has that thing born into them that makes them want to be above average. Know what I did the other day? Glad you asked. I layed down on the floor and saw the world from a child's view. Try it, it is interesting. See the world from a child's eyes. Everything is a lot bigger and more impressive. When I was reading SleepyTown and read the part that says, "Flowers grow big, as big as a house." and followed it with the illustration, they gasped. It made me smile. I could not help it. I had that stupid grin spread across my face. All they were doing was reacting to an illustration that showed flowers growing over the roof-top. You and I already know this. We know that children want to experience it all with their senses. We just need reminding some days. I keep rambling, I know it. Sorry about that. Keep writing. Keep believing in yourself. NEVER give up on the gift that is in you. Do me a favor, read SleepyTown, when it comes out,and fall in love with it. That would be a great blessing.

No comments: