Saturday, March 22, 2008

Open Seza a Me

Open Sez-a-me. Passwords are a pain in the sit'n down place. It can be the same way for "The Opening" of a story, book, short story, or even the wrapper on hamburger buns. (I want to know WHO gets the job of twisting the twist tie? Probably some machine that took five jobs.)

I will admit that I have sat here looking at the computer screen and wondered, "How Am I Going To Start?" Now, I do not claim to know it all. I know a little about a lot. I have been told that I am a "Jack of all trades-a master of none." It sounds cool, but it never provides a pay-check. That is, unless someone reading this wants to offer me a job!?

Most people believe that having a narrator is the worst way to start a story. They say that telling is not good. Think of it this way. Do you really like it when you are forced to sit and listen to someone go on and on and you must have "eye contact?" All the while, you are wishing they would shut up so that you could do what you are trying to do. You listen, but your mind begins to wonder. Hmmm, now if the roof fell in over their head, they would stop talking. Hmmm, I could fake a asthma attack. Not good. They would call 911 and then I would have to listen to the EMT all the way to the hospital.

Got the idea? Exactly! It always works to have the entrance and flow get right to something interesting. Give the opening so much potential that the reader must turn the page and keep reading. Wow, this blog sounded so great for a minute that I wanted to buy the book. (I know, get a grip! See how easily I entertain myself. It's all drug free!)

Here are two samples. Which one do you like best? Why does the one you pick work?

WARNING: I typed this correctly, but in the saving process it does not keep the format. oops!

As he leaned over the railing and dropped a pebble into the water, Max noticed a small box drifting with the current."What in the world is that?"The box caught on a rock and tumbled across a shallow area of stones. Then, upon reaching a deeper section, it began to drift once agaian. Mac felt the hair on the back of his neck stand up. He jerked to look behind him. It felt like icy fingers moving across his sun-brazed skin.The box continued to drift furthur away from the bridge. Mac considered leaving the box and walking on to school, but a flash of light drew his attention back to the box. His heart began to beat faster. His hands began to sweat. Somehow, he needed to get down that bank and rescue the box from the water.

Another example:

I stared at the marble floor."You're warning me that the chip can not be removed without damaging my brain?""Steven, it's too risky. You could die.""I want this thing out of me. Every day, a little more of me fades and this, THING, gains more control. I do not want to live like this. I refuse to become some machine.""I understand!"Professor Gray scratched the back of his neck and turned toward the window. The trees swayed in the evening breeze. A man stood on the other side of the street. His eyes were staring up at the building."Time is running out, Steven. He followed you here. He will watch until you leave and follow you to your apartment."

Which do you like best? See how quickly the main character is faced with a problem.

In both examples, the day was normal until...something made it change.

No comments: