Saturday, March 22, 2008

Leaving the starting block as a writer.

Maybe I am the only one, but I think that I am actually "one" of thousands. It is not easy to get started. Some say that you have to know what kind of story you are writing and then the start comes easy. I do not think that it comes easily.

Then, finally, one day I asked myself this question: If I were sitting down to read this book, how would I want it to start?

My favorite kinds of books always start with something that "grabs" my attention. I want to be like a fish. Here I am, swimming by, and there better be something interesting on the "hook" to get me to bite. I am not your average fish. I am not going to bite just any old worm. Hey, that is it! There needs to be something interesting, there needs to be something that makes me turn the page, and there must be something that makes me focus.

Basically, in a nutshell, I want to see something that makes me want to know more. I want to identify with a character. I want to feel for that person. I want to take the story as my personal mission. I must help solve the problem.

Another thing, I get lost when a story jumps forward and back a lot. Don't make me run a treadmill. Give me the story. I don't want to jump from one exercise decvice to the other. Make me take the long ride on the merry-go-round and enjoy the trip. Make it like a big slice of cheese cake with strawberries on top. Mmmmmm, think of the lingering taste. Yum! I want to devour the cake and have a great taste long after.

No comments: