Thursday, March 27, 2008

Palm Readers Have Nothing on Librarians

As some of you know, because you have read my bio, I worked at the local Public Library for ten years. I had a blast being around books. Of course, I wanted to work in the Children's Department, but they made me work the Circulation Desk. I did visit the Children's Department often.

If you have not done this, visit your local library. Talk to the Children's Librarian. She knows what children are reading these days. Walk around the room and see what books she has out on tables and special displays.

Stand back and watch children as they enter. Watch what they like to do. Then, browse the shelves and see the most visited areas. You can tell which areas have the most use.

Ask the librarian the following questions:

1. What books are children checking out over and over?

2. What book is asked for more than any other, but you can not keep it in the library?

3. What books are you reading to children in story-time?

4. What are your top ten books? Why did you select them?

5. What do you think is needed in the Children's Book World today?

6. If you were the author of a children's book, what kind would it be and why?

7. What advice would you give a person that wanted to write for children?

8. Then, ask the librarian to read something of yours and tell you what she thinks.

I will never forget something that Lanelle said to me. READ CHILDREN'S BOOKS. (She meant "READ" children's books. She was going for that deep-down reading with the heart.)

What do you think? Got anything to add. I would love to hear from our librarians, too.

No comments: