Monday, March 24, 2008

Cut the Kudzu!

Ever been told that you are full of it. I mean, full of too many words in your book or story. I have some observations about it.

I have always had a love for English, Literature, and all things Shakespeare. In high school, I would check out books of Shakespeare's plays and sit and read them. While some people were reading novels, I was reading Shakespeare. Weird, huh? That is me.

Okay, enough with the "fireside-chat," I was going to say something important. In English class we always tell the students to correct the daily oral language exercises by making the sentence shorter. I understand it to always be that way in writing. You should always say it in fewer words.

That is why manuscripts have to be cut, clipped, mowed, and improved. The cutting makes them clearer. It is kinda like pruning a tree so that it has a more pleasing shape. (Forgive the informal writing here. I am treating you like my friend. You are my friend, right?)

The local librarian says that EASY BOOK'S sentences should not be any longer than ten words. Some books that are meant for the next group should contain no more than fourteen words per sentence. At our school, most teachers agree that Jr. High students should read sentences of no more than twenty words.

Writing can be considered in the same light as public speaking, "Keep it simple." We do not like "wordy" speakers, so be careful becoming a "wordy" writer. I bet some of you think that of my "blogs." I can go on and on sometimes. In those cases, it must be said, no matter how long it takes. I just went against what I said above. Here I go, again.

I can get on my "soapbox" and go on an on. Once, when I was teaching fifth grade, I found myself on my soapbox and far away from the subject. I said, "How did I get here?" A student then raised his hand and began to tell me how I said one thing and it led to another and so on and so on. I had to laugh. How true, how true!

Just realize that change will happen. Do not hold onto your manuscript like it is some sacred cow. No one is going to worship it. No one is going to morn the cuts, when they are gone. Sadly to say, no one will notice their passing. It is almost like having a funeral without a body.

If at some time you find that I did not take my own advice and was wordy. Please, forgive!

No comments: